Friday, September 30, 2016

Court day and moral curage

(TW- violence against women)
So, in February this year, in the middle of the day on a Sunday, on my way to taekwondo practice, I witnessed an assault. A man beating up a woman. I tried to go in between, and he threatened me, I could see in his eyes, in his facial expression, that he was dangerous, and I got scared. Still, I couldn't just walk away, so I hid behind some bushes, called the police and had to stand there watching him throwing her down on the ground while waiting for the police to come. A woman in a car heard me talking to the police and backed her car so the woman could jump in, then I had to run and hid so the man wouldn't go after me, he disappeared and me still talking to the police and believing the coast was clear went to go look at the street name where I saw him walk away (the police wanted to know) suddenly he came out of nowhere and started to chase me, luckily I got away.

Today was court day, I of course was called as a witness. It was scary to go in there, see him and knowing that he now got a good look at my face and also learned my name, but I don't regret for a single second my interference, I have always said that I of course would do something if I saw something like this happen, but honestly you don't know until you truly are in that situation. I am also so glad that the woman pressed charges against him, I know that that's not always the case, and I hope he really goes down for this.

Please, if you ever are in a situation where you can help someone, even if you can't physically interfere, call the police, do something, it's important, don't be a bystander, if you see something like this happen it IS your business, weather you like it or not.


 On my way to the court this morning..





 

2 comments:

  1. How about witness protection law?? Is it ever exists in your country?
    My complements to your for your courageous action!

    ReplyDelete